Video editing as a skill has been increasing in demand since the last few years, or if we talk about the exact date, since YouTube was first started in 2005, many people began video making and editing. There are no limits to making a video on Youtube and you can make ample edits to make it even more professional.
In this market where there are a lot of competitors for you, how would you make your video superior? You might not be a professional video editor, therefore we are here to provide complete guidance to you. Whenever you decide to make videos, there are a few points which one must consider and move ahead. So, let’s discuss these points, but before that let’s understand what a video editor is.
What is a video editor?
It is a platform that functions to cut, trim, and sequence images or video clips in a comprehensive format. This makes the video-making part easier for any layperson when a video editor. So, as you have now learned about a video editor, let’s see everything you need to know about video editing.
Everything you need to know about Video Editing
1. Terms related to Video Editing
When you start a video editing procedure, various terminologies must be understood.
- Frame Rates: Frames Per Second (FPS) is a term which specifies the number of frames displayed per second. For instance, if it is a standard video, 24 FPS is an average time for a frame.
- Resolution of a video: Whoever starts video editing must understand that there are various resolutions for the videos. A high-resolution video (7680*4320 pixels), a medium resolution video (1280*720 pixels), etc. You must understand these resolutions. A standard video must always aim for High-resolution videos.
- Aspect Ratio: It is the ratio that measures the width and height of the image. The common aspect ratios are 4:3, 16:9, or 2:35:1.
- Video Codecs: Video codecs compress and decompress the video according to the usage. It compresses for sending the video and decompresses while playing it. Some famous codes are MPEG, H264, etc.
- Mono and Stereo audios: You must understand that there is a single as well as a double source of music. As the name suggests, mono has a single source of music, and stereo has two music sources.
- Montage: It is a sequence of shots or clips edited together to create a clear idea about the video.
- Transitions: It is helpful to have a smooth connection between the shots from one image or clip to another one. Some changes are cut, dissolve, fade, etc.
- Visual Effects: It helps to make a part of the video shiny and cut unwanted elements from the scene.
- Motion Graphics: The animated elements used in the movie or scene generate a moving animated effect in the video.
2. Video Editing Software
You must select the video editing tool wisely. There are many Online Video Editors in the market, such as iMovie,InVideo, Final Cut Pro, Adobe Premiere Pro, DaVinci Resolve, etc. You can choose anyone suitable for your needs and your budget. Some software has free features for the users, and some have pro offers in which you require to pay money.
So, you can choose according to your needs and always try to determine that it provides you with great features, templates, and other benefits.
3. Hardware Requirement for Editing
Today, many people make videos even on their phones. But, if you plan to make the video effect, you must always try to make it on properly settled Hardware. The PC or MAC must have high speed to store huge files, exporting, and other work. If there is high-speed Hardware, you can entirely focus on your editing process without worrying about the storage or sharing needs.
It must have a faster storage drive, high RAM (around 8 GB), and a video editing processor. So, you must select such Hardware that fulfills these needs to avoid any mess up while making the video.
4. Organization of Project files
An organization is always required in every field. Before starting the video, all your files must be organized. This organization will allow you to manage all the footage and edit it according to your requirements.
Editing the video randomly and with a minor organization will make it a hectic task. They label the time shots and names to the clips to allow you to edit them properly and make your work easier.
5. A workflow for Editing
There is always some workflow requirement in any field that moves from one step to another. So, in the video making part, too, there is some workflow.
- The first step would be to sort the clips of the videos into bins or folders. This organization of the clips would make your work easier.
- The second step may include rough editing or rough cuts to the video. Give the structure to the video and sequence the clips.
- The next step would include the fine cuts to the video precisely using timestamps, and each shot must be categorized and arranged in a flow.
- The last step will include the picture lock, which will lock the shots, frames, or clips within the time frame, and anything would not be added or subtracted from that sequence.
6. Export the Video
The critical step of video making is to export the video to your desired website. You can share it on YouTube, your website, or other platforms.
7. Publish the Video
Once your video is complete, the last step is to publish the video. You can choose the location and publish it according to your requirements.
Thus, these are the essential terms and steps you must know during video editing. This will help you make your video editing process more accessible and without any hectic schedule.