Do you know when Adobe Photoshop was invented? Well, over the years, Adobe Photoshop has grown to what it currently is at the moment. We have made a summary of the different photoshop versions and functions.
The first Adobe Photoshop version was invented in 1987, however, it wasn’t released to the public. In 1988, the first version was publicized and evolved. Many adjustments are being made to fix any existent errors and bring new features.
You can use Adobe Photoshop to perform various functions, remove flaws, retouch images, and edit your images to seem perfect.
Photoshop Versions Since 1988 – 2021
1. Photoshop 0.63
- October 1988
- Modification of the first demo Photoshop 0.07 was released in January 2018. However, it was not publicly released.
2. Photoshop 0.87
- March 1989
- The first version was distributed commercially
- It was distributed as Barneyscan XP
3. Photoshop 1.0
- February 1990
- The last release for System 6.03
- In February 2013, the source code of version 6.03 was donated to the Computer History Museum.
4. Photoshop 2.0
- June 1991
- Introduction of Paths
- Introduction of CMYK Color
- EPS Rasterization
- The last release for system 6.0.4.
5. Photoshop 2.5
- November 1992
- It offers 16 bit per channel support.
- It has a “Deluxe” version present on CD-ROM.
- The first version for Microsoft Windows.
- The last release for System 6.0.7.
- Support for IRIX and solar.
6. Photoshop 3.0
- September 1994
- Support for Win32s
- Tabbed Palettes
- Introduction of layers
- The first release distributed in compact disc format
- The final release distributed in floppy disk format
- The last release for Windows 3.0, Windows NT 3.5, System 7.
7. Photoshop 4.0
- November 1996
- The last version to support Radius and SuperMac and 68K Macs
- The last release for Windows 3.1x, Windows NT 3.51, System 7.1, and 80486 processors
- Introduction of actions, navigator palette, grids, and guides
- Free transform tool
- Multicolor gradient and gradient editor
- Support of PNG and PDF file format
- Digimarc image watermarking
- Gallery effect filters
- Adjustment layers
8. Photoshop 5.0
- May 1998
- Last release for System 7.5
- An editable type and multiple undo
- Introduction of Magnetic Lasso, pen and freeform pen
- Automation plugins and measure tool
- Improved color management
- Spot color channels
- Channel mixer adjustments
- Layer effects
9. Photoshop 5.5
- February 1999
- Bundled with ImageReady
- Save for Web feature
- Last Release for Windows 95, NT 4.0 RTM, SP1-SP3, Mac OS 7.6 and macOS 8
10. Photoshop 6.0
- September 2000
- Vector Shapes
- “Liquify” filter
- Layer styles/Blending options dialog
- Updated user interface
- Last Release for Windows NT 4.0., 2000 RTM, SP1, MacOS 8.5 and MacOS 8.6, MacOS 9 and Inte Pentium and Pentium II.
11. Photoshop 7.0
- March 2002
- The text was made fully vector
- Introduction of the healing brush
- New painting engine
- Spell check feature
- Find/Replace feature
12. Photoshop 7.0.1
- August 2002
- Camera Raw 1.x
13. Photoshop CS1 8.0
- October 2003
- Hierarchical layer groups
- Addition of new Camera Raw 2.0
- Match color command
- Shadow command and histogram palette
- Smart guides, sorting and sharing capabilities
- Reworked file browser
- Increased user control
14. Photoshop CS2 9.0
- May 2005
- Addition of Camera Raw 3.0
- Image warping tool
- Lens correction filter
- Smart objects
- Vanishing point tool
- Streamlined interface
- Upgraded spot healing brush
15. Photoshop CS3 10.0
- April 2007
- Introduction of clone source pallete
- Introduction of dust-busting and fill light tools
- Mobile phone optimization
- Better management with Adobe Bridge
- Contrast, black & white adjustment enhancement
- Improve support for camera raw
- Non-destructive smart filter
16. Photoshop CS4 11.0
- October 2008
- Content-aware scaling
- Masks panel
- New 3D engine
- Adobe Bridge improvements to file management and workspaces
- Improvement in Lightroom workflow
- Smoother panning and zooming
- Simplified Tab based interface
17. Photoshop CS5 12.0
- April 2010
- 64bit support
- Auto image straightening
- Bristle tips
- Color picker
- Mixer brush
- Refine edge
- Puppet warp
18. Photoshop CS6 13.0
- May 2012
- Autosave and background saving
- Video tools including layers,
- Color and exposure adjustments
- Camera raw 7.0
- Content-aware patch/move
- Redesigned user interface
- Improved vector tools
19. Photoshop CC 14.0
- June 2013
- All-new smart sharpen
- Camera shake reduction
- Edited rounded rectangular
- Intelligent unsampling
- Sync preferences with cloud
- Share on Behance
- Camera Raw 8.3 and filter
20. Photoshop CC 15.0
- June 2014
- Focus mask
- Two new blur tools(spin and path)
- Content-aware tool improvements
- Increase in several task speed
- Smart Objects improvement
21. Photoshop CC 16.0
- June 2015
- The ability for more than one layer style
- Added export as
- Design space for the preview
- New library capabilities and file linking
- Camera raw 9.1
- Enhanced export options
- Updated user interface
22. Photoshop CC 17.0
- June 2016
- Adobe Portfolio
- Selection and masking space
- Content-aware cropping tool
- Export improvement
- Updated libraries panel and integration
23. Photoshop CC 18.0
- November 2016
- Stock templates, 3D objects, and search tool
- Support for SVG color fonts
- Introduction of Typekit marketplace
- In-app search
- Tighter integration with Adobe XD
- Better overall performance
24. Photoshop CC 18.0.1
- December 2016
- Touchbar support for Apple and MacBook Pro
25. Photoshop CC 18.1.0
- April 2017
- Program error when converting to bitmap using pattern dither with selection
- Performance issues with TrueType and OpenType fonts
- Black menu entry in the context menu for a 3D type
- Layer groups with changed blend modes
26. Photoshop CC 19.0
- October 2017
- New stroke smoothing features
- New curvature pen tool
- Support for spherical panoramas editing
- Streamlined brush management
- Access to your lightroom photos in Photoshop
- Enriched tooltips and support of variable fonts
- Upscale photos with AI
27. Photoshop CC 20.0
- October 2018
- It offers a live preview of the blending modes
- It has an in-app color wheel
- Japanese fonts support
- Text placeholder
- Image placeholder
28. Photoshop CC 21.0
- November 2019
- Adobe Camera Raw Improvements
- Animated GIF supported in Save As
- Enhanced Lens Blur
- Easy access to stylistic font sets.
- It features quick tasks in the properties panel
- Improvement of the AI content-aware fill
- Improvement of the object selection tool and proportional scaling
29. Photoshop 21.1
- February 2020
- Improvement of the existing features
30. Photoshop 21.2
- June 2020
- Better select subject tool
- Update of Camera Raw
- Syncing of Adobe fonts
- Better overlays, strokes, and fill layers
31. Photoshop CC 2021
- October 2020
- It features neural filters
- Sky replacement
- Enhanced cloud documents
- Pattern preview
- Livestream as you create
- Edit your image size
32. Photoshop CC 22.4.2
- May 2021
- Save a copy option.
- Improved neural filters.
- Support of ARM devices.
33. Photoshop CC 22.5
- August 2021
- Sky preset fly out menu.
- New transform warp option.
- Improved in-app discover.
34. Photoshop CC 23.0
- October 2021
- Automatic selections on hover.
- Share for commenting.
- Improved interop with Illustrator.
- New and improved neural filters.
35. Photoshop 2022 – CC 23.0
- November 2020
- Instantly turn photos into art.
- Create not so still photos.
- Warp photos to fit any shape.
How to Check and Update your Photoshop Version
How to check your Photoshop version
- On Windows, simply run the Photoshop software, choose help and About Photoshop
- On macOS simply run Photoshop and choose Photoshop
How to Update your Adobe Photoshop Version to the Latest Version
There are many options you can use. If you have the creative cloud desktop app, simply open it.
- On Windows, you can find it in the system tray in the bottom right of your screen
- On Mac, the icon appears in the Menu Bar in the upper right of your screen
- From Photoshop, simply run it, click the Help menu and choose updates.
At times when Photoshop is running, you will be prompted to close it first to continue. You can confirm whether Photoshop has been updated by checking its version number.
Adobe Photoshop has evolved. It is one of the most popular platforms that creative use to edit their work. Each year, new updates are made and errors fixed. Hence, you may find an error in one of the versions, the best you can do is to update to a higher version for better features.