Are you wondering about how to monitor your device and analyze traffic on your network? This curated list of top 30 monitoring tools is the best choice for you.
Whether you are a network administrator or a system administrator, it is important to monitor potential issues before they become production problems. There are various network monitoring tools available on the market, and it might be challenging to choose the best one.
We have come up with a list of the best network monitoring tools for analyzing traffic on your network, and monitoring services, devices, protocols, and ports.
Do you want robust monitoring for your device? NetCrunch is a system that delivers full monitoring through detailed (agentless) tracking, alerting, policy-based setup, and versatile visualization. It enables you to track any device in your IT infrastructure, from servers to printers, temperature sensors, and cameras.
Let’s examine some of the features of NetCrunch:
- NetCrunch can detect, configure, and start monitoring your network devices out of the box.
- Baseline thresholds and range triggers learn about your network and alert you to unusual changes with more than 330 Monitoring Sensors, Services, and Packs.
- NetCrunch comprises 9 functionalities modules suited to specific infrastructure requirements.
- You can adjust its price according to the module you chose
If you want to consistently monitor your network’s performance, Obkio is the right choice for you. Obkio is a basic SaaS network performance monitoring solution that enables users to constantly track their network performance to enhance end-user experience.
If you decide on Obkio, here are some features it provides:
- You can deploy Obkio within minutes
- It uses monitoring agents to carry out continuous monitoring
- It uses historical performance to fix previous problems
- It measures user QoE (Quality of Experience) every minute
- It fixes any potential performance problem
- Obkio assesses network health through Automated Speed Tests
- It updates real-time performance every 500ms
- It measures performance by exchanging Synthetic Traffic
Paessler PRTG is a monitoring network recognized for its ability to carry out advanced infrastructural management. It uses technologies like SQL, REST, WML, Sniffing, SNMP, etc. to monitor IT infrastructure.
These are some of its basic features:
- Paessler PRTG has various User Interfaces
- It provides flexible and easy alerting
- It enables you to create web pages that have up-to-date tracking data in the preferred design.
- By pinging defined IP ranges, PRTG can scan network segments.
With Network Bandwidth Analyzer, you can monitor the performance of your network. It enables you to monitor response time, switches, availability, etc.
Features of Network bandwidth Analyzer:
- With this tool, you can discover which network app utilizes the most bandwidth
- The tool also helps you to monitor your network’s fault
- Network Bandwidth Analyzer offers visual analysis for devices that have delivery path
- The app also helps you find any issue related to the service provider.
- With the tool, you can easily drag and drop performance metrics
- It helps your monitor the logical features of Software Defined Networking (SDN) environment
This tool helps you to automatically reduce costs and save work hours. It offers integration that comes with a network performance monitor.
Features of SolarWinds Network Configuration Manager:
- With SolarWinds, you can easily manage network device
- It helps you optimize network infrastructure performance
- It can easily spot vulnerabilities in your network
- It also helps to carry out network auditing to ensure compliance
- It can carry out backup, configuration, and restoration for your network
Zabbix is a free network monitoring tool that has the features of trending functionality and monitoring. This open-source monitoring tool is entirely used for network hardware and monitoring servers. The tool uses historical data to help forecast potential behavior.
Features of Zabbix:
- Zabbix has numerous metric collection protocols and methods
- Zabbix is a network monitoring software best for windows and provides them with extendable and flexible data gathering
- It carries out configuration changes
- It carries out monitoring of network health and performance
This tool helps to fix IT problems. It enables users in their supported environment to eliminate blind spots before they become malicious issues.
Features of ConnectWise Automate:
- ConnectWise Automate helps to eradicate Delivery Roadblocks
- It has good visibility
- It helps to increase service at a cheaper rate
- Eliminates problems quickly
Logic Monitor is one of the best network monitoring tools. It is known as an automatic SaasS network monitoring tool. This tool helps to customize reports, alerts, and dashboards. By offering trend analysis and predictive alters, Logic Monitor helps to identify potential problems.
Features of Logic Monitor:
- It carries out wireless access-point monitoring
- Logic Monitor helps to track BGP sessions and OSPF adjacencies
- It also helps to monitor Fan, Temperature, Memory, CPU, other hardware
- It easily detects all network interfaces and devices
Fiddler is a network monitoring and debugging tool. It helps you to detect HTTP traffic between your PC and the internet. It helps you analyze incoming and outgoing data to evaluate and monitor responses and requests before they are sent to the browser.
Features of Fiddler:
- Fiddler carries out HTTPS/HTTP Traffic recording
- It can easily manipulate web sessions.
- It helps to debug traffic from your computer, mobile devices, Linux or Mac systems
This monitoring tool helps you to modernize and simplify IT to increase competitive edge and uptime. Splunk also allows you to have uninterrupted troubleshooting and monitoring.
Features of Splunk:
- It has predictive insights and real-time
- It helps avert business outages
- Splunk also carries out informed decisions
11. Angry IP Scanner
This monitoring tool is best for Mac, Linux, and Windows. Angry IP Scanner helps scan IP addresses in any ports and any range. It helps users ping IP addresses and detect if the address is alive or not.
Features of Angry IP Scanner:
- Angry IP Scanner offers a command-line interface
- It can be extended using various data fetchers
- It also exports results in multiple formats
- It helps scan internet and Lan networks
12. Capsa Free
Capsa monitoring tool is a free software that you can use to troubleshoot network performance, analyze and monitor Ethernet. Capsa Free enables users to learn how to enhance network security, find network problems, and monitor network activities.
Features of Capsa Free:
- It provides enough evidence for security breach, network performance, etc.
- It helps decreased efforts and time need to reconstruct network problem scenarios.
- It provides efficiency to analyze occasional and periodical network problems, etc.
- Capsa Free helps you to browse historical network traffic and also save network data for weeks or months.
13. The Dude
This network monitoring tool helps you scan all devices within a particular subnet. It also ensures you can draw the map and layout of your networks. The Dude alerts you whenever you have equipment that isn’t working perfectly.
Features of The Dude:
- It gives device management direct access from remote control tools
- It can detect any device type or brand.
- The Dude supports custom icons and background. It also provides devices with SVG icons for easy recognition.
- It also offers auto network layout and discovery
OpenNMS is customized for building network monitoring solutions. This open-source network solution comes with a discovery engine that helps manage and configure network devices automatically without any form of human intervention.
Feature of OpenNMS:
- It is built on architecture driven by event
- It has an extensible and flexible architecture
- OpenNMS gathers performance metrics from XMP, NRPE, WMI, JMX, and SNMP agents
- It enables you to detect your applications and network through ReST API, detected, or manual driven interfaces.
This network monitoring software is a Forensic Analysis Tool that enables you to discover open ports, hostname, and OS of network hosts by parsing a packet sniffing or PCAP file.
Feature of NetworkMiner:
- It has network sniffing and forensics
- It enables you to search stored/sniffed data for keywords
- Its professional has specifically customized USB flash drive
- Under the NetworkMiner credentials tab, you can extract user credentials for supported protocols
16. Zenoss Core
Zenoss is a hybrid tool for monitoring IT. It helps you analyze software and provide complete visibility of cloud, virtual, and actual IT environments. The network management tool also offers Open Source Core, Enterprise, and SaaS solutions, as well as an integrated API and SDK.
Features of Zenoss Core:
- It helps monitor the performance of networks, events, and device
- Zenoss Core helps monitor device availability and performance
- It provides designed web-based dashboard and console
- Zenoss Core also helps carry out the management of device attribute
- It uses ZenPacks to extend and customize monitoring environments
WirelessNetView is a portable network surveillance program that you can run in your laptop or desktop background. It tracks the behavior of the wireless networks around you. It shows information such as SSID, Average Signal Quality, Detection Counter, Authentication Algorithm, etc.
Features of WirelessNetView:
- With WirelessNetView, you don’t have to give your email to download from NirSoft
- It uses a USB flash drive, without creating any form of record that you use
- Several of its features on this site were built in C++ to render it simple and useful.
Monitis lets you maximize your network to prevent device downtime. It also ensures the constant protection of your network. The tool offers agent-based and agent-free monitoring for multiple network devices, such as switches, phone systems, and windows.
Features of Monitis:
- It supports TCP protocols such as SMTP, HTTP, UDP, SIP, etc.
- It provides your full visibility over your website
- Monitis also helps to monitor every web transaction
- It ensures real-time reporting;
- It easily identifies and addresses network performance problems
- It also helps monitor your network bandwidth
Ntop provides high-speed web-based traffic monitoring and flow collection. Ntop was developed in a portable manner to practically operate on any platform — Linux, Mac, and Windows.
- It provides active hosts and real-time network traffic
- It helps evaluate IP traffics and organize them according to their source/destination.
- NTOP also generates network traffic statistics for HTML5/AJAX.
- It provides support for the export of monitored data to LogStash, ElasticSearch, and MySQL
This monitoring tool is one of the best free network monitoring tools that help deliver alerts and real-time status for your important devices.
Features of Spiceworks:
- It allows you to modify the alert level for in-app emails or notifications.
- Spiceworks is easy and quick to install. Also, you can easily set up the network monitoring system
- Spiceworks also offers fast insight and helps detect overwhelmed, sluggish, and slow systems
- It provides a completely free Support
Observium is a network monitoring tool that helps to automatically discover your network. It works on various device types. The tool provides an elegant and easy-to-use interface to the status and health of your network.
Features of Observium:
- It has traffic accounting functionality that helps you monitor and bill consumer bandwidth usage.
- It supports a variety of third-party app
- Its Threshold Alert System allows you to customize thresholds and failure state of different entities.
- Observium enhances your network’s reliability by detecting a variety of potential problems.
Monitis is an open-source monitoring tool. It is specifically made for Unix systems. It is a free monitoring tool that helps carry out automatic repair and maintenance. It can also conduct meaningful actions in an error situation.
Features of Monitis:
- You can use it to monitor similar programs or suspicious processes running on localhost.
- It can be used to track local host file systems, directories, and files.
- It provides support for sockets, UDP, and TCP.
- It helps you to track general device resources for local hosts such as Load Average, Memory, and overall CPU usage
This monitoring tool helps you to automatically detect and baseline your entire IT ecosystem in a very short time. It helps you to track and control device efficiency and cloud infrastructure.
- It provides network solutions that help you monitor development, operation, and business.
- Dynatrace helps optimize client experience
- It offers high-performance applications
- It also helps to monitor cloud-native app
SevOne provides full visibility across the whole enterprise network to address application performance management challenges. It handles everything from on-site applications to cloud-based apps.
Features of SevOne:
- It offers instant AD Hoc and Graphs report
- It enables you to view several graphic and tabular reports from a single view
- It helps circulate reports to stakeholders automatically
- SevOne also displays important status maps and network events;
This monitoring tool provides complete RAID-like availability, infinite scalability, and virtualization integration.
Features of Shinken:
- It carries out quick application and server testing;
- It allows you to reuse Nagios setup
- It can load data from new sources such as MySQL and Puppet and include new export techniques such as Graphite.
26. WhatsUp Gold
WhatsUp Gold (WUG) is one of the best tools you can use to monitor your device. It has dashboards that are visually pleasing and user-friendly. It can be configured to show alerts and IT infrastructure that best suit your need.
Features of WhatsUp Gold:
- WhatsUp Gold can instantly detect and map your entire network
- By using customizable alerts, it helps to constantly monitor the health of your network
- It has dashboards and reporting
- It also has discovery, network mapping, and cloud monitoring
Icinga is a service monitoring and an open-source infrastructure tool. Icinga is a tool that helps report your IT environment’s health. All its alerts are shown in the dashboard and send through messaging applications, mobile, or SMS.
Features of Icinga:
- It helps carry out service monitoring
- It also carries out both SNMP monitoring and direct monitoring
- It enables zone monitoring and clustering
- It has templates and configuration
28. OP5 Monitor
This software product is used to monitor network, management, and server, according to the Open Source Project Nagios. The OP5 Monitor shows the IT network’s efficiency, health, and status.
Features of OP5 Monitor:
- It helps monitor Log Server
- It has dashboards that are completely interactive and customizable
- It provides unequal scalability across Distributed Systems
- This network monitoring application reads, generates, and processes SNMP trap alerts.
29. Pandora FMS
Pandora FMS is a monitoring tool for enterprise. It gives you better flexibility to resolve urgent and unexpected operational problems, like IT processes and infrastructure.
Features of Pandora FMS:
- It helps to monitor your network and WMI
- It provides KPI and SLA on reporting
- It has dashboards and WYSIWYG visual console screens
- Multi-tenant, several levels of access management
- Pandora FMS also provides viewing and GIS tracking
Advanced IP Scanner helps scan your network and carry out LAN analysis. It is a free network monitoring tool that you can use to switch off your PC. It also helps you to access shared folders as well as act as PC remote controller.
Features of Advanced IP Scanner:
- It doesn’t require any installation
- It can detect MAC addresses
- Advanced IP Scanner also helps to export scanned result CSV
This article has examined and analyzed the top tools you can use to monitor your network. PRTG Network Monitor is designed for your entire infrastructure, and it is capable of carrying out distributed monitoring.
Also, SolarWinds is a network monitoring tool that helps you to minimize network outages and enhance performance.
Zabbix monitoring tool is free, and it is an open-source network tool that is ideal for any business size. LogicMonitor is a cloud-based monitoring tool with functionalities such as rapid event monitoring and deployment.
Icinga can monitor any application and host. It offers on-site deployment. Spiceworks is a fully free network monitoring tool that offers real-time alerts to IP devices, switches, and servers. It is suitable for small to medium-sized firms.