We have selected some of the best zip programs to save space for you on your computer. They are also ideal for file archiving to ensure your computer runs smoothly without memory issues.
17 Free Zip Programs in 2022: Compress and Extract File Archives
This is one of the best file archivers that has a high compression ratio. You can use the 7-Zip program at home and commercially. It has a strong AES- 256 encryption in 7z and ZIP formats to help secure your files perfectly.
It also features a powerful file manager and a command-line version. It has an open architecture in which the source code uses the GNU LGPL license7Zip has a great ability to compress, convert, and encrypt.
- It opens and compresses almost everything
- It has a windows shell extension
- It can handle multiple compressions
- It is localized in 79 languages.
- It is a little sparse on the instructions
- Compression can take a lot of time.
This is another zipping software that supports more than 150 formats. It also features an encrypted password manager and two-factor authentication security. Additionally, you can use it to search for duplicate documents. There is the 64bit version, 32bit, portable and Linux version.
It is a cross-platform, full-featured but user-friendly alternative to WinRar. Peazip packages are secure downloads and don't contain advertising or harmful software. It also deploys a powerful and complete file manager for editing, viewing, browsing, and data security features.
- It provides a free file archiver and encryption software.
- It offers a high compression ratio.
- It supports more than 180 file types.
- Can be used as an archive opener and extractor.
- It is only available for Windows and Linux and not for Mac.
This is another software that allows you to extract more than 30 compression formats. It also offers maximum support for 4GB files. It also features a compression speed crossover and drag and drops function. Bandizip is a powerful archiver that provides an ultra-fast processing speed and convenient features. It is available in a free version, the paid edition supports a variety of advanced features. It can also compress an archive with a password and multi-volume.
- It can compress, decompress, browse, and edit.
- It has a multi-core fast compression rate.
- Encrypted archive creation
- It has a clean interface and few bugs
- The free version has ads that can’t be removed.
This another free zip program that features an integrated preview feature that allows you to see your files easily. It has a beautiful graphical interface, intuitive, and easy to use. It has a powerful integration with Windows and windows explorer shell.
Ashampoo supports creating and extracting ZIP, 7-Zip, TAR, TAR.GZ, and many more formats. It allows extracting from over 30 different formats. It has a powerful AES encryption with 256-bit strength for more security. It is the only utility that reads all types of encrypted ZIP archives.
- Virtually unlimited size of the archive
- Unlimited size of files
- It has an integrated preview that supports many different images, text, and file formats.
- Fixed corrupted ZIP file
Zipware can support all major archiving formats including the new RAR5. It can handle both small and large archives. Linux archive formats such as TAR and GZip are also supported.
It is free for both personal and commercial use. A password manager is available for storing passwords and private data. To use the program, you must install Windows.NET for it to function.
- It is easy to understand and use.
- It stores private data and passwords in safe places.
- It has an inbuilt virus scanner.
- It does not offer any repair tool.
6. Hamster Zip Archiver
This software is free. It can support over 40 languages which is a big flex. This software can be integrated with Dropbox, Google Drive, and other Cloud services.
It can be used for any compression format since it has a high compression ratio. It is easy to understand and has several archiving solutions.
- Multiple compressions at a time.
- Uses several cores to perform well.
- One can easily create direct links to archives.
- It does not reduce the respective compressed file to a much smaller size as expected.
- It supports Windows files only.
This software provides efficient file management and defragments of the hard disk. You can use it to share documents easily. This software also creates compressed file archives for every file format.
It does not take up much memory on your device. Unzipper is compatible with any format of a document, image, or audio. You can use unzipper to upload and send large sizes of documents, photos, and audios when they are in a compressed archive. The software is free.
- Fully compatible with multiple compression archive formats.
- It is simple to understand and use this software.
- It has an automatic Self-extraction.
- It does not take much memory space.
- We haven’t discovered it yet.
It is suitable for businesses and home use since it can create compliant ZIP files, fast compression engines, and advanced compression ratio. This software can support other archive formats such as TAR, GZip, and RAR. It has a powerful interface and a fast compression engine. It is free to commercial users too.
While installing, it will try to install third-party tools that consist of ads, but you can cancel it manually.
- It extracts very fast and has a high compression rate.
- It is free.
- It supports multi-languages
- It does not recognize ZIPX archives.
This software has a special function where it lists the name of the compressed file and you can select the file to unzip. It views the ZIP archives before extracting. It is compatible with Windows XP, Windows 2000, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.
You can use it to add or remove files. This software is free for personal use but comes at a cost if it is for commercial use.
- It is simple to use
- It is portable in the sense that it can be launched from an external source without installation.
- Archives, zips, unzips, and compresses easily.
- Supports ZIP files only.
- One requires to pay for a license if intended to use commercially.
This is another tool you can use to archive, compress, and extract your files. It allows you to extract content found in an archive and preview them. The interface of the program is plain and simple and you can use the tree view or the drag and drop method to open archives.
In the options windows, you can enable the case-sensitive mode to group folders on top of the list view. It is an excellent tool for retrieving files and folders.
- Thumbnails can be displayed
- Documents have no size limit
- The file type association can be set.
- We haven’t discovered yet
It is an online decompression tool that allows you to unzip your files at ease. It can accommodate up to a maximum size of 200MB. Because it is online, after 24hours it is automatically deleted to ensure your file security.
At unzip-online, you can unzip, zip RAR, and other files without having WinZip installed. You can easily upload a file and download the uncompressed files in it. You won't need to install any software.
- It allows you to unzip without installing any software on your device.
- Files get deleted after 24hours automatically
- We haven’t discovered it yet.
Zipper is a free program that can be downloaded and used freely. It is compatible with Windows and is easy to use. It is among the best free zip and unzipping programs around.
It shows extraction paths so you know where the files are going and file sizes. It has various ways to perform the same action. It has gained popularity over the years because of its efficiency.
- Free and ad-free
- It tries to fix incomplete or damaged ZIP files,
- It has high compression rates.
- It is fast, efficient, and easy to use
- It isn't free to maintain because it contains commercial components
It is designed specifically for Windows and supports more than 20 compressed file types. It uses the CZIP encryption system and encryption algorithm to protect files. It has a fast and secure engine that spots the essential capabilities to manage archives
You can use it to thoroughly manage compression options. It even allows you to share documents through your email. You can use zipgenius to backup files, convert compressed packs into a multi-volume archive, and even add comments.
- It is an easy and neat way to secure files and folders.
- It supports a wide variety of formats
- It features fast processing
- Clear operational interface with big colorful icons
- 2011 date mark
14. Express zip
It is a great zipping software that allows you to compress files and folders. Express zip allows you to create ZIP files quickly and opens all major archive formats.
It also allows you to drag and drop, encrypt, and protect your zip files with passwords. You can use it to create a PAR2 recovery file to fix incomplete or damaged files. It is one of the most stable compressions tools available
- It has the capability of splitting large files into small parts.
- It also forms multi-part split ZIP archives.
- It can also compress files for email transmission
- It has plenty of features and light on system resources
- The free version is only available for noncommercial use only.
- Can be sluggish when compressing certain file types
- The interface looks outdated.
This is one of the best zipping software that features a strong AES 256 encryption. The security of your files will always be guaranteed. The Multicore is used for compression and decompression.
It is one of the most popular compression tools. It also features well-organized data storage options and awesome solutions for users in different industries. It is also available in over 50 languages in both 32 and 64 bit. It has a perpetual license hence valid for a lifetime with no subscription.
- It processes files and recovers damaged files easily.
- It is the only software that can create RAR archives and has multiple advanced features.
- The built-in scanner helps prevent corrupted archives from getting unpacked.
- It supports Unicode file names.
- It is a bit difficult to understand some of the features
- It occupies a lot of memory
- It brings an unzipping error in files over 4GB
Winzip is another software that allows you to archive, compress, and unzip folders. It will help to manage your files easily and even share when required. It is compatible with Windows OS.
It is highly versatile and can be used on multiple platforms. It is one of the best in class compression algorithms and offers cloud storage.
- Zips and unzips files easily
- Encrypts archives for safety
- Costs too much
- No new features
Unlike most compression, archiving, and unzipping programs, this is specifically for Linux, Unix systems. It is very portable and can run on any 32 or 64-bit computer if you have at least 8MB.
If you have an ANSI C compiler you have a good chance of building a working executable from the sources with minimal difficulty. It can compress and archive easily.
- It offers great compression ratios
- It is a great file manager.
- We haven’t discovered it yet.
We hope this guide will help you know the best zip program that can suit your needs. They vary in strength, security, formats supported, compression rates, and speed. Hence, if you are just using it for personal use, a simple program can work for you. However, if you want it for commercial purposes, ensure it is powerful and you can even opt for the paid version.