While you can play Nintendo Switch in hand-held mode, there are times when you might like to experience it through an external monitor. The good news is that this isn’t a difficult task to complete at all.
So, if you want to enjoy your gaming with an external monitor or television set, read on. One possibility that’s left many Nintendo fans scratching their heads is whether they can hook up their Switch to their laptop.
Well, while the task isn’t an overly-complex one, there’s more to it than a simple cable connection. Let’s look at exactly what’s needed here.
Always make sure you use one of the best portable monitors that are made for exactly this. You should know that a workaround exists to answer the question that still confounds many Nintendo fans.
As this process can use a lot of power, you’d be wise to plug both your Switch dock and laptop into a power source.
The Main Method
- Ensure the Switch HDMI cable is not connected to your TV.
- Take that same HDMI cable and plug it into HDMI In on the Elgato HD60 HDMI capture card.
- Open up Game Capture HD on your laptop.
- Turn on your Switch console by clicking on Home on a connected controller.
- Connect a USB cable from your laptop to your Elgato HD60.
- The home screen on your Switch should show up within Game Screen HD.
- Click on the fullscreen symbol and you should see the program take up your entire screen.
- Avoid touching your keyboard or mouse. The footage from your Switch should expand automatically. You’re now able to enjoy Switch on a laptop in the same way you could on your TV.
There’s no specific capture card required for the above method. The only requirement is that it must have an HDMI In port and a USB-C connection.
While there are a number of capture cards you can choose from, gamers typically regard Elgato cards as being the best due to their ease of use, affordability, and build quality.
There are two alternative methods you can try if you struggle with the above method. You can install Nintendo titles directly onto your laptop or you can try using a different laptop.
If your laptop is an older model, you might be unable to use it as a display monitor, so in this case, trying the main method with an upgraded laptop might be the way to go.
If you’re certain that you want to try and play your favorite Switch games on your laptop, then the good news is that you can play many popular titles made for Switch in Windows.
You can download or buy games for multiple platforms under a category known as “Xbox Play Anywhere”, which you can find tagged in an Xbox store.
You don’t need to be a technical genius to connect your Switch to a laptop. It’s more of a matter of meeting the necessary requirements. And while you wouldn’t need a second screen for your social media time, if you meet these requirements, you can go ahead and enjoy some Switch fun on a larger screen.
If you don’t meet these requirements, however, you can always try one of the two alternative methods as mentioned above.