In today's digital era, where we use messaging to communicate, several apps have been created to help keep our messages very private. These apps are created to act like secret tools that allow us to text without other people seeing our messages.
These apps are important as they help us protect our personal information and secrets from people who cannot see them. It is also of great importance to use these apps carefully. Even though they help keep our texts safe, we should also consider how we use them and whom we talk to.
These apps show us how we value our privacy in this digital era where putting our private stuff in public is effortless. This article will explore some of these apps, their features, and security measures. We also outline a few tips that will help you protect your privacy while using these apps.
Why do you need to hide your messages?
There are various reasons why we need to hide our conversations. You might send sensitive information like medical records, financial details, or family issues. Keep your conversations private from family members, nosy friends, or in case your phone gets lost.
How do these apps work?
These apps work in different ways. Some apps make our texts into secret codes only the sender and receiver can understand. Other apps make messages disappear after they are read. Other unique apps hide messages inside innocent-looking pictures or sounds or in games, making it hard for people to see them.
What features should I look for in an app to hide messages?
These are some of the most important features when choosing an app to hide messages to ensure privacy.
- End-to-End Encryption. The most important feature of an app to hide messages is security. Always ensure the app uses strong encryption and requires a password, PIN, or pattern to access your data. This ensures that only the sender and recipient can read the messages.
- Unique feature. Before agreeing to use a particular app, ensure it has unique features like a timer that deletes your hidden conversations after a given period. Other features could be making the app invisible to other apps on your home screen or the ability to back up your hidden data to a cloud storage service.
- Regular updates. Regular updates prove the app developers are working to mend any security issues. It is essential to keep your app up to date to protect yourself from insecurities.
Here are some of the best apps to hide messages on various devices.
Threema is a secure messaging app designed to protect your privacy. To access Threema, you need to purchase it at a given cost, and there are no subscription fees. The messaging app is available for iOS, Android, and Windows devices. Threema is easy to use and with no disturbance from ads.
- End-to-End encryption. The app uses end-to-end encryption, meaning that your messages are encrypted on your device, and only your recipient's device can decrypt them. This makes it hard for others to intercept your texts even if they access Threema servers.
- No Metadata Collection. Threema does not collect metadata about your messages, like the day or time you sent or received the texts. This indicates that if someone tries to intercept your texts, they will not be able to learn when and where you sent the texts from.
- Self-destructing Messages. A user can set messages to self-destruct after they have been read. This helps protect susceptible
- No phone number is required. Unlike most other messaging apps, Threema does not require your phone number or personal information to sign up. This means your identity is not tied to your account, maintaining a higher level of privacy.
Viber is among the popular messaging apps that offer a wide variety of features. You can make calls and send free messages to other Viber users on Viber. If you are still deciding which plan to go with, you can use the Viber Free version and upgrade later. Viber is available on various platforms, including Androids, IOS, and Windows.
- End-to-End encryption. The app offers end-to-end encryption for all texts, video, and voice calls. This will ensure that only the receiver and the sender can read or listen to the content of their communication.
- Location sharing. Viber allows location sharing with family and friends, making it easier to schedule meetups.
- Secret chats. To add an extra layer to your privacy, you can hide a specific chat from the main chat list and protect it with a PIN code.
- Backup and Restore. If a user decides to switch to a new account or reinstall the app, they can back up their chat history and restore it.
- Block and Report. One can block or report unwanted contacts or spam messages to maintain a pleasant and safe communication experience.
Apart from Viber having a free version, it has three other features that are not free:
- Viber Out. Viber Out allows its users to send messages and call people who do not use Viber. It offers a variety of pricing plans, like paying for each minute you call or every single message you You can also pay a monthly or yearly fee for certain minutes or messages.
- Viber Premium. Viber Premium offers a variety of features, including high-quality audio and video calls, no ads, and the ability to see who reads your messages. You can either pay $9.99 per month or $99 per year.
- Viber Business. Viber Business enables businesses to communicate with their clients through Viber. It offers features like live chat, chatbots, and analytics to enable businesses to improve their customer service. The pricing of Viber Business depends on the features that you need.
Confide is a private and secure messaging app that offers some amazing features. The app is also a good option for those who do not want their sensitive information intercepted or read by unauthorized third parties. Confide is free to download and use, but a premium subscription exists. The free version limits you to 200 monthly messages, while the premium version removes the limit. The premium version is ad-free with a chat history of up to 30 days, unlike the free version, which supports ads and does not store chats. Confide is available on platforms like iOS, Android, and desktops.
- End-to-End Encryption. The app uses end-to-end encryption to ensure messages are only read by the intended recipient.
- Disappearing and Self-destructing Messages. To protect sensitive information, you can set messages to disappear after they have been read. You can also set messages to self-destruct after a given period.
- Screenshot Protection. The unique part of the app is that one can prevent their messages in Confide from being screenshots. Confide uses verification codes to help prevent any unauthorized access to your texts and screenshots.
- Unread and Typing Indicator. The app also notifies you when a message is read or when someone is typing a text.
- Message Retracting. You can also retract a message after it has been sent if you mistakenly sent it to the wrong person or made an error. Confide lets its users control whether their messages can be forwarded to others.
Telegram is a secret messaging app with over a million active daily users. The app largely suits those who want to send messages, videos, photos, and files without being intercepted. Telegram is a free app download but also with a premium subscription. The free version of Telegram limits one to 1.5GB of cloud storage, while the premium version does not have a limit. The premium subscription doubles the limits on tasks you can perform, like the number of groups you can join or the number of messages you receive or send. The free version supports ads, while the premium version is ad-free. Telegram is available on Android, iOS, Linux, macOS, Windows, and other platforms.
- End-to-end encryption [Optional]. Messages sent to and from Telegram are end-to-end encrypted, and the feature is optional.
- Cloud-Based Messaging. Telegram stores messages in the Cloud, allowing users to access chats across multiple devices while maintaining synchronization.
- Self-Destructing Messages. You can create secret chats on the app that include a self-destructive timer for messages that make them disappear after a given period.
- Voice and Video Calls. You can make encrypted voice calls and video calls to other Telegram users.
- Multiple Accounts. Telegram allows users to have multiple accounts on a single app, making separating personal and professional communications easier.
CoverMe is a secure and private messaging app that offers a variety of features to protect its users' privacy. Like other messaging apps, CoverMe has a premium subscription with additional features. The premium version has no limit to messages sent per month, has no ads, and stores chat history for up to 30 days. The free version supports up to 500 monthly messages with ads and does not store chat history. CoverMe is only available on Android and iOS devices.
- End-to-End Encryption. Messages sent to and from CoverMe are end-to-end encrypted. This encryption relies on the Signal protocol, considered among the most secure encryption protocols. This ensures that only you and your recipient can read your messages.
- Disappearing messages. You can set messages to delete or disappear immediately after they are read automatically. This feature aids in protecting sensitive information.
- Password Protection. You can lock messages and sensitive info on the app using a PIN, password, or fingerprint.
- Burner Numbers. The app supports temporary or ‘burner' phone numbers that users can use for purposes like online purchases or classified ads without revealing their number.
- Intruder Alert. CoverMe has a unique feature where a photo of anyone who tries to access your app with a wrong password is captured. This helps in identifying potential unauthorized access attempts.
- Remote Wipe. CoverMe provides a remote wipe feature to erase all your data in case your device gets lost or stolen.
- Backup and Restore. A user can back up messages, files, and settings to the Cloud and restore them when needed.
iMessage is a secure messaging app with many convenient and engaging features for communication between Apple users. iMessage is free to use, and you are not required to pay any subscription fees or data charges. However, one must have an Apple device and an Apple ID to use the app.
- End-to-End encryption. Messages on iMessage are end-to-end encrypted, ensuring that only the sender and receiver can read the message.
- Disappearing messages. Users can set messages to disappear after being read or after a period.
- Voice and Video calls. You can send and receive encrypted voice messages and make video calls.
- Read and Typing Indicators. The app displays when a message has been sent and delivered or the other person is composing a message.
- Screen Sharing. iMessage allows users to share their screen with the other person in a conversation.
7. Wickr Me
Wickr Me is another messaging app that offers secure and private messaging. Wickr Me supports both free and premium versions. The free version does not limit the number of messages sent, has ads, and has no chat history. The premium version has no limits to messages sent, has no ads, and stores chat history for up to 30 days. Wickr Me is available on Android and iOS devices.
- End-to-End encryption. Wickr Me ensures that all messages sent and received are encrypted end-to-end, enabling only you and your recipient to read the messages.
- Disappearing messages. To protect sensitive information, you can set messages to disappear after they are read or self-destruct after a given period.
- Screenshot protection. You can prevent your messages in Wickr Me from being screenshots.
- Users can create an anonymous profile and use a fake username to aid their privacy.
- Two-factor authentication. Wickr Me enables its users to enable two-factor authentication, adding an extra layer of security to their accounts.
- Voice and Video calls. Wickr Me supports end-to-end encrypted voice calls and video calls.
- Secure Notifications. Another unique part of this app is that notifications do not reveal any message info on your device's lock screen.
Vault is a safe messenger app that features a safe folder and Vault to hide sensitive info. Vault has a free version and a premium subscription. The free version does not limit the number of messages sent or received but limits the number of chat histories you can store. The premium subscription allows one to store chat history for as long as they want. It also supports sending and receiving big files, making group calls, and not having ads. Vault is available on Android and iOS devices.
- End-to-End encryption. Vault ensures that only you and your recipient read your messages. The app is among the safest messaging apps, ensuring texts are encrypted without any third party involved.
- Self-destruction messages. Messages on Vault are permanently deleted from the Cloud and other devices once they are read.
- No sign is required. You can access Vault without providing your phone number, email address, or social media logins.
- Fingerprint or Face Unlock. You can use biometric authentication options like fingerprint or face unlock to unlock your Vault app.
- Intruder Alert. If a person enters an incorrect password, a photo of them will be captured, and a notification will be sent.
- Fake Cover. Vault's icon might be disguised as a calculator or any other innocuous app to discourage intruders.
- Panic switch. This feature helps in quickly exiting the Vault app in case you are in a situation where you need to protect your privacy.
- No Trace. Vault leaves no trace of its use in browser history or recent apps.
WhatsApp is among the most popular messaging apps globally, with over 2 billion daily users. The app is free to download and use but has a subscription fee for the Whatsapp Business version.
- End-to-End encryption. Whatsapp messages are designed to remain secure and private against interception from third parties.
- Voice and Video Calls. Whatsapp allows high-quality encrypted voice and video calls to family and friends over mobile data or Wi-Fi.
- Data and Backup Restore. If you lose or switch your device, you can back up your messages, photos, videos, or files to Google Drive.
- Location sharing. Using this feature, Whatsapp users can share their live location with other users.
- Disappearing messages. Users can set messages to disappear in their recipient's device after a given period.
- Chat lock. You can lock your WhatsApp chats with a PIN or fingerprint to protect sensitive info.
10. Signal Private Messenger
Signal is a highly secure and private messaging app designed to prioritize its user's privacy. Signal is an ad-free messaging app, unlike most free apps. The app also offers amazing features to ensure your sensitive info is secured. The signal is available on Android, iOS, Windows, macOS, and Linux devices.
- End-to-End Encryption. Signal ensures that all messages received and sent, calls, and media shared are end-to-end encrypted. This ensures that all this information remains confidential without interception from third parties.
- The app enables its users to set a timer so the messages will automatically disappear on both devices at a given period.
- Voice and Video Calls. Voice and video calls made within the app are encrypted, ensuring all communications remain private.
- Security Features. Signal offers the ability to verify your contact's identity and to lock the app with a fingerprint or PIN.
- Secret Chats. The app supports secret chats, meaning your messages cannot be copied, forwarded, or screenshot.
- Backup and Restore. If someone loses or replaces their phone, they can recover their messages.
Gem4me is a well-rounded messaging app with features that help secure users' privacy. The app is free to download and use, but some features demand a premium subscription. These features include MarketSpace and SmartWallet. Gem4me is available for all devices.
- End-to-End Encryption. Gem4me ensures that all messages sent and received from the app are encrypted, ensuring only the sender and recipient read the messages.
- Security Features. The app offers high-security measures like two-factor authentication to safeguard users' privacy.
- Privacy Settings. The app lets you control who can see your profile, contact you, and more.
Dust is a messaging app that stores users' messages in the Cloud. This means you can access your messages from any device, and the app is available on all devices. However, the messages are not permanently stored in the Cloud as they are deleted after a while.
- End-to-End Encryption. Messages stored in Dust are highly encrypted to ensure that only the sender and recipient read them.
- Self-destructing Messages. Users can set a timer for their messages to disappear automatically after a certain period.
- Cloud storage. Messages in Dust are stored in the Cloud, so one can access them from any device.
- This feature allows users to track their online activity to help identify and block potential threats.
Applock is a free download-and-use app allowing users to lock their apps, including messages. It has a premium subscription that offers extra features. The premium version aids in locking and hiding more apps and is available on all devices.
- PIN or Pattern Lock. You can set a PIN or pattern to lock your apps to prevent intruders from accessing your apps.
- Fingerprint Lock. If your phone has a fingerprint sensor, you can use it to lock your apps. This is the most secure way to protect your apps, as nobody has the same fingerprint as you.
- Intruder Selfie. The app can take a selfie of anyone who tries to unlock your phone with the wrong PIN, password, or Fingerprint.
- Hide Apps. Applock hides apps from your app launcher, so no one will know you have Applock installed on your phone.
14. Private Text
Private text is a messaging app that hides your messages by storing them in a secure vault. It is a free download-and-use app; you can access it from any device.
- Password Protection. A user can set a password or PIN to lock the app.
- End-to-End Encryption. Messages on the app are encrypted to ensure privacy between the sender and recipient and self-destruct after a given period.
- Fingerprint Lock. One can use the Fingerprint option to unlock their Vault.
- Remote Wipe. If your device is lost or stolen, you can wipe your Vault to delete all your sensitive info on the app.
15. Calculator Pro
Calculator Pro is a good app for hiding messages with various features. It disguises itself as a calculator so no one can know it is a messaging app. Similar to other apps, it has a premium subscription with extra features. However, this app is less secure than the other apps, as someone who knows how to operate the app can access your messages.
- Hide Messages. Using the calculator app, you can enter and lock your messages by entering a special code.
- Users can set timers for their messages to disappear automatically after a given period.
- Lock app. You can set a PIN or fingerprint to lock the app.
- Backup Messages. You can back up your hidden messages to the Cloud to access your messages from any device.
When choosing an app to hide messages, it is important to consider the points above above. If someone is determined to access your messages, they can do so, as no app is 100% secure. However, the abovementioned apps are some of the most secure. The apps encourage users to communicate comfortably, knowing their sensitive info is secure.