We have collected basic tips for system administrators and business leaders to ensure maximum business network security.
In today’s reality, information is not just money, but a much more valuable resource. Personal data, insider knowledge of the market, organization of work – take the protection of this data as seriously as possible.
Looking ahead, it is worth saying that today there are many measures to protect your data on the network. These are VPN services, proxy services, antivirus software, etc. Learn proxy servers reviews on proxy.info.
In this article, we will tell you how to take a systematic approach to business network security.
What is information security?
To cut risks, a company must organize the work with equipment, software and prescribe a security policy – data management methods. As well as standards and technologies used in the work. Professionally organized corporate information security (IS) helps protect data from intruders.
Let’s list the goals of IS solutions.
- You have control over your corporate information. You understand exactly the level of security of your data, including when storing or transiting data in any way and in any format. You know what has been done to prevent unauthorized access to information and understand how reliable these measures are.
- It is important to avoid misrepresentation of information at different stages of operations. You can achieve this goal by standardizing the working with data at different stages and in different departments.
- All relevant data must be available at all times, with full user permissions. It makes the processes in the corporate network predictable. One of the important advantages of accessibility is the ability to quickly and fully restore the system in case of problems.
A sufficient level of network security for business requires a systematic approach. It should take into account not only all current vulnerabilities but also potential problems.
Thus, you can’t do without round-the-clock control at every stage of data handling, from the moment it enters the system until it is removed from it.
There are three main types of control that allow you to foresee all (or almost all) of the dangers.
To maintain a high level of information security, use a system. It may consist of regulations, corporate security policies, hiring rules, disciplinary methods, and so on.
Various technical controls are used here. These can be firewalls, special software, password managers, and more.
These two types of controls help prevent artificial security threats. All of them are man-made in one way or another and are the result of their actions. These are, for example, attacks by intruders or the actions of competitors.
This includes access control systems and company engineering systems that affect the process of data transfer and storage. This includes, for example, fire alarms, air conditioning, heating, and others.
Also, this approach extends directly to the arrangement of workplaces and machinery. This type of control helps prevent naturally occurring threats, including force majeure events.
Today, there are almost no areas in the work of any company that does not involve IT technology. Thus, in theory, intruders can get unauthorized access to almost any aspect of your company.
Thus, building a corporate network security system is a race against intruders. You must learn about their new schemes as quickly as possible and build a system to counter them.
Business Network Security Measures
Information protection tools (IPS) are software that prevents data leaks and counter threats. They include a variety of hardware solutions, software, organizational measures that must work together.
Of all the antitheft tools, the software is the most popular. Let’s list the main types of such software.
Setup a VPN
For many years, businesses have used VPNs to securely access corporate systems over the public Internet. In recent years, however, VPN services designed for businesses have been widely used for many other reasons, such as:
- Encryption of the Internet connection to improve Internet privacy.
- Location substitution to circumvent regional blocks and local censorship.
- Providing access to websites and services that can only be accessed from certain locations.
- Protection in public Wi-Fi networks. Often the “workplace” of a mobile or remote employee is cafes, airports, hotels, and similar places where the risk of traffic interception is particularly high.
- Security for your customers. When traffic is intercepted, passwords, addresses, personal information can be obtained. VPN will protect against this.
Traditional antivirus programs
Some of the antivirus programs are able not only to detect and neutralize malware but sometimes also to restore damaged files. Don’t forget about an important functionality – scanning, the frequency of which you can adjust according to the schedule.
The main difference from traditional ones is that file analysis takes place in the cloud infrastructure. Thus, the antivirus does not burden the operating systems of working PCs. So, they are well suited for not very productive systems.
Security Information and Event Management (SIEM)
These are specialized software designed to monitor the IT infrastructure. SIEM solutions collect information about network events from all critical sources. These include antiviruses, firewalls, operating systems, and so on. All this information is stored centrally in one place and analyzed automatically. Based on the analysis, the system instantly notifies the IT department of activity resembling hacker attacks, disruptions, and other threats.
Data Leak Prevention (DLP)
This is a specialized software designed to protect data from leaks. These solutions are effective but require a lot of organizational and financial effort from the company. A good choice if you are willing to pay for a really serious level of security.
You can also distinguish such types as cryptographic systems, firewalls, and proxy servers. Pay special attention to the protection of mobile devices used by employees. For this purpose, there are several solutions. These are AirWatch, IBM MaaS360, VMware, Blackberry Enterprise Mobility Suite.
Choosing the best business network security tools
When making your final decision, there are many factors you need to consider. Among them:
- The nature of the company’s operations;
- Company size, the presence of remote offices, as well as departments;
- The technical level – the specifications of the equipment used, the level of wear, etc.;
- The degree of technical literacy of employees working with the information infrastructure.
The security of your business, your data, and your money should be a priority. Fortunately, there are many security tools available today, including crypto saving accounts.